To celebrate National Frozen Foods Month, I’m going to be posting at least one freezer-related article, link, resource, or tip everyday throughout March on my Facebook Fan Page. Just “like” the page while you’re there so you’ll get the latest daily updates.
Click here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Simple-Mom/203857025823
Be sure to tell your freezer-cooking, convenience-loving, and money-saving friends!
Filed under appetizers, breakfast, budget meals, casseroles, dinner, entertaining, freezer, kitchen ideas, leftovers, lunch, meal planning, meals, mothers
Copyright Deborah Taylor-Hough. Used with permission. All rights reserved.
Debi’s Tex-Mex Layered Dip Recipe
This is one of my standby recipes that I take to potlucks or serve when we’re hosting a Game Night for friends and family at our house. It’s always a huge hit … and never any leftovers! It might actually be worth making two if you’re expecting a large crowd or want some to snack on the next day. I’ve actually been known to serve this to the four of us at home for a light dinner or lunch. It’s very filling! 8)
When money’s tight (which it usually is these days!), I leave out the avocado layer and don’t add the mayonnaise or packet of taco seasonings. It’s still tasty, though. 😀
- 3 medium sized ripe avocadoes
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 pkg taco seasoning mix
- 2 cans (10.5 oz each) plain or jalapeno flavored refried beans
- 1 large bunch of green onions with tops, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 can (10 oz.) sliced black olives
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- a bag or two of tortilla chips
- Peel, pit and mash avocadoes with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise and taco seasoning mix.
- To assemble layered dip, spread refried beans on a large shallow serving platter or 9″x13″ baking pan.
- Spread seasoned avocado mixture over beans, and then spread on a layer of the sour cream mixture.
- Sprinkle with chopped green onions, tomatoes, and olives.
- Cover with shredded cheese.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature with tortilla chips as dippers.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Deborah Taylor-Hough is the mother of three grown and nearly grown kids still at home, a full-time college student, a displaced homemaker trying to make ends meet on a limited budget, and the author of several older (but still in print) books including the popular Frozen Assets cookbook series. You can visit Debi online at: http://www.SimpleMom.com
Filed under appetizers, cooking, dip, entertaining, family, food, homemaking, party food, recipe, recipes, simple living, snacks, Vegetarian